Perry County miner dies in underground accident | News
CUTLER, IL (KFVS)- The death of a southern Illinois coal miner remains under investigation.
According to the Perry County coroner, Timothy K. Chamness, 28, from Royalton, Illinois was pronounced dead at 9:08 p.m. Wednesday night after an underground accident at the Prairie Eagle Mine located at 7290 County Line Road in Cutler.
According to a spokesperson from the Mining Safety and Health Administration, Chamness was pinned between a continuous mining machine and a wall, or what's known as a "coal rib."
An investigation could take several weeks.
Interviews will be conducted by witnesses to try and determine what led to the accident.
Investigators will also inspect equipment. If any violations are found, the mine could face citations.
An autopsy was conducted today, those results have not been released.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Perry - Illinois County Stories
Upcoming Events near Perry - Illinois County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect