Reforestation brought to Du Quoin State Fair Grounds | News
DU QUOIN, IL (KFVS)- A tornado tore through the Du Quoin State Fair Grounds a year ago, wiping out over 100 trees.
But today, crews were hard at working restoring those trees along the 1,455 acre property.
"In the last eight years, we have replaced 500 trees," said Building and Grounds Director Jeff Mason. "In the last 29 years we've replaced 1,700."
The Illinois Department of Agriculture accepted the bid from an Urbana, Ill. nursery to purchase the trees.
Several species were planted, including a genetically disease resistant elms and hackberry trees.
Groundskeepers say by next spring, the area will have a whole new life.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Perry - Illinois County Stories
Upcoming Events near Perry - Illinois County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect