Lane reduction on I-57, expect major delays | Community Spirit
JEFFERSON COUNTY, IL (KFVS) - Construction on Interstate 57 could slow travelers down.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, crews will be working in the northbound lanes from mile marker 93 to mile marker 96 in Jefferson county. The work will start on March 29th.
A spokesperson for the department says crews will reduce northbound traffic down to one lane as crews work to reconstruct the road and add an additional lane.
That lane reduction will be in place until November 1, 2012. The northbound entrance and exit ramps at Veterans Drive will be closed. Drivers can still use the northbound entrance and exit at Illinois Route 15.
Motorists should expect major delays, according to the department. Drivers are asked to reduce speed and be aware of equipment and workers in the area.
Drivers using Interstate 57 northbound to get to Interstate 64 westbound should consider Illinois Route 154 at Mile Marker 77. Those traveling Interstate 64 westbound should try using Illinois Route 37 at Mile Marker 80.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Perry - Illinois County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect